Easter for kids means Easter egg hunts, brightly coloured baskets and eggs full of chocolate and other goodies, outings to meet the Easter Bunny, and (of course) a little time off school! Easter for pets, however, means a time of multiple temptations to chew, ingest, lick and taste things that may not be good for them. Below are a few things you should be aware of during the Easter Holiday.
Easter Grass – Making that Easter basket or other Easter themed décor may look great with a touch of Easter Grass, please note that it is harmful to a lot of pets. Cats, in particular, seem to love munching on the stuff, which can lead to intestinal blockages and other gastro issues. While it may look nice, it may be best to avoid veterinary fees and do without or use shredded paper as a substitute.
Chocolate – We all know of the toxic effects of Chocolate in dogs. Even a small amount can be very harmful, and potentially life-threatening. Make sure that if you have chocolate, to keep it out of reach of your dog. Place it on a high shelf, or in a locked cupboard. Do not leave any laying around for a wandering pet to pick up!
Easter Lilies – While they are beautiful, they are very harmful to cats. Cats love to chew on the petals, and a very small amount can lead to vomiting, lethargy and kidney failure. It may be best to keep these flowers out of your home if you have cats.
Xylitol – Xylitol is an artificial Sweetener used in some foods. It is most often found in sugar-free gum and can be very toxic to both dogs and cats if ingested. A drop in blood sugar can lead to problems such as seizures and even liver failure.
Table Scraps – Most people want to treat their pet to a little something during the holidays. Be mindful of what table scraps you decide to give your pet. Foods cooked with certain spices (Garlic, onion) or foods that are very fatty can cause gastrointestinal upset in many pets. If you want to feed your dog a plate of homemade turkey dinner, be sure to pass on the gravy and any fatty foods. Potato, Carrot and Turnip are safe for pets to eat
Written by: Torbay Road Animal Hospital